This past Tuesday SOFT RIOT was in the studio at London’s Resonance 104.4 FM as a guest on the show “A Colder Consciousness”, hosted by Flora Pitrolo. I had a great time navigating through the spontaneous waters and Flora was a fantastic host. You can check out more archives of the show on ACC’s MixCloud.
Here’s the archive off that show, as well as the tracklist:
“The Hole” – Susan Justin
“Educated Man” – Images In Vogue
“Fallout” – Data
“Lawnchairs (original mix)” – Our Daughters Wedding
“Burn My Eyes” – Steven Grandell
“Dynamo Beat” – Shock
“Save Our Souls” – Second Layer
“Varsavia” – Ein-st-ein
PARTS 1&2: CANCON SOUNDS, 1978-1986
This two-part mix makes up a 2-hour retrospective of Canadian synth, new wave, electronics and post-punk music with some select pop and space-rock tunes. From obscure, underground gems to select radio hits and everything in between that came out between 1978-1986. READ MORE
A 3-hour SOFT RIOT-curated playlist is now available online from TXTBK’s CHV?CH XV B?XK3N 7ANGvAG3 Radio on the online station www.bummerbliss.com. This set, split into two parts, aired Sunday, 23 September 2012.
Part I starts off with an introduction by JJD himself and then moves into 7-8 tracks showcasing a selection of the current crop of London/UK synth/wave artists rising on the scene. This first half then moves onto a personally (and randomly) picked selection of similar artists from eras old and new.
Part II moves on with an explosion of energy from a personal and influential selection of avant garde, noise, post-hardcore and prog-punk bands from the last 10-20 years, building up to a free-floating drift of the last hour of the set, which swings into atmospheric, cinematic sounds.
TXTBK’s CHVRCH XV BRXK3N 7ANGvAG3 – Radio | Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/TXTBKs-CHV%D1%8FCH-XV-B%D1%8FXK3N-7ANGvAG3-Radio/129641487108097TXTBK’s CHVRCH XV BRXK3N 7ANGvAG3. Tune in every Sunday 7pm Pacific / 10pm EST at http://bummerbliss.com/ for a new mix by Textbeak or a guest.
A little over one year ago a mix was posted on here called “Sparkwood and Twenty One“, in reference to the nighttime meeting point of various characters in the cult TV show Twin Peaks. It was intended to be filmic and mysterious, like wandering around late at night in the snow through some secretive forest.
This mix, Winter Waves and Cryptic Caves, carries out the same theme but broadens the stylings somewhat. It’s also worth noting the release years of the tracks included span over thirty years! Incorporating psychedelic drones, film soundtracks, electro-acoustics, slow ballads and minimalist electronics; the track selections for this total is a hair of being just under two hours of material, so grab yourself a beverage of choice and sink into where you are sitting. Best enjoyed in various states of consciousness or contemplation. I say this as I have a tendency to listen to such music when going to sleep or when sick in bed.
Try it on. Stay in out of the unforgiving weather. An atmospheric mix for listening to under the influence of medication (whether legal or illegal) or staring out the misted window thinking about bird’s feathers and dark matter.
1. THE FOR CARNATION | Being Held 2000
2. BLACKOUT BEACH | Biloxi, In A Grove, Cleans Out His Eyes 2009
3. LICHENS | Vevor of Agassou 2007
4. THIS MORTAL COIL | Waves Become Wings 1984
5. YELLOWKNIVES | Sweat Logic 2007
6. TANGERINE DREAM | Creation (Soundtrack to Sorcerer) 1977
6. MATER SUSPIRIA VISION | The Afterlife 2010
7. SUBPOENA THE PAST | Altitude On Ice 1998
8. AIX EM KLEMM | The Girl With The Flesh Coloured Crayon 2000
9. LALO SCHIFRIN | Main Theme (Soundtrack to THX 1138) 1971
10. RAMASES | Molecular Delusion 1971
11. CINDYTALK | Disintegrate 1989
12. TAMARYN | Golden Song 2009
13. UNWOUND | Abstraktions 1993
14. I†† | Ph▲sing 2010
15. ELISA WAUT | Russia 1985
16. BRUCE GILBERT | Work For “Do You Me? I Did.” (Part 3) 1982
17. COLIN NEWMAN | Fish 4 1982
18. SUSAN JUSTIN | Titles (Soundtrack to Forbidden World) 1982
19. JOHN FOXX | Film One 1980
20. CABARET VOLTAIRE | Partially Submerged 1978
21. GROWING | In The Shadow Of The Mountain 2005
22. ZOLA JESUS | Run Me Out 2010
23. SECOND LAYER | Black Flowers 1981
I’ll save the long-winded personal reflections for this mix and just deliver it straight as it is: a representative slice out of the pool of synth-saturated, future-thinking music that I love, namely between the years of 1978 to 1985. A number of these tracks have been with me for a long while, thrown in crusty old mix tapes for people or rotated as vinyl on the decks back when I used to DJ quite frequently in the early naughties. Some of them are more recent discoveries. Some are recommendations or discoveries from friends over the years. Some of the tracks are by bands that had some notable popularity at the time and others more obscured by time (well, we can all admit blogging and the internet has unearthed quite a few of them!).
As most of my vinyl sits in some random storage warehouse in a suburb of Vancouver, a number of these tracks existed as digital counterparts to the vinyl or they were new numbers that were unearthed through the magic of the internet. There was plenty to select from and then condensed down to this mix, so I’ll likely compile a “Synth or Swim II” in the near future.
1. MEN WITHOUT HATS | Antarctica 1981
2. DEUTSCH AMERIKANISCHE FREUNDSCHAFT | Im Dschungel Der Lieb 1982
3. SPARKS | Tryouts For The Human Race 1979
4. UNITS | Digital Stimulation 1980
5. SECOND LAYER | In Bits 1981
6. DATA | Fallout 1980
7. SYLVIA | Das Ende Von Traum 1980
8. SEVERED HEADS | Halo 1984
9. NOVEMBER GROUP | Flatland 1982
10. CHROME | Eyes In The Center 1980
11. STEVEN GRANDELL | Burn My Eyes1983
12. RONNY | To Have And Have Not 1982
13. IKE YARD | NCR 1982
14. JOHN FOXX | Plaza 1980
15. GRAUZONE | Film 2 1981
16. AUTUMN | Time Is On Our Side 198?
17. CABARET VOLTAIRE | Sensoria 1984
18. FRONT 242 | GVDT 1981
19. JAPAN | Still Life In Mobile Homes 1981
20. EDDIE AND SUNSHINE | Lines 1982
21. KAS PRODUCT | So Young But So Cold 1981
22. ANNE CLARK | Bursting 1984
23. ALEXANDER ROBOTNICK | Problèmes D’Amour 1983
24. CHRIS AND COSEY | Heartbeat 1980
25. FAD GADGET | Ricky’s Hand 1979